Did you know water and mold damage result in about $2.5 billion in claims every single year to insurance companies? In years like this, with a very active hurricane season, that number will undoubtedly be much higher. Here in Minnesota, we may not have hurricanes – but we all can still experience some kind of water loss and/or mold growth in our own four-season climate.
According to waterdamagedefense, on an average year, about 14,000 people in the U.S. experience water damage at home or work every day. The average water damage claim is about $7,000, but once mold or bacteria is added to the mix, the claim becomes much higher. A remarkable 37 percent of homeowners experience some kind of water loss in their lifetime.
However, there is some good news to all of this. In many cases, water damage can be avoided altogether or stopped before causing a massive insurance claim. The sooner a water problem is caught and resolved, the better! Longer leak, bigger claim. Professional water and mold remediation companies in Woodbury are available to help you spot the source of your water damage problems, clean up the water, and make sure that any mold problem is resolved before it has a chance to start.
Check out these facts
– The average washing machine supply hose fails at 8.7 years old.
– 75% of water heaters fail before they’re 12 years old
– A 1/8th inch crack in a pipe can release up to 250 gallons of water in one single day.
So, keeping an eye on your pipes – especially under sinks and changing out water heaters and washing machine supply hoses before they give out are great ways to prevent water damage.
Of course, those aren’t the only things that can cause water damage in a home! And sometimes, there may be a hidden leak you just don’t even know about until some warning signs appear. Here are some signs to look for:
1. Stained walls or ceilings. This could be a small or large area of discoloration. When water seeps into empty cavities, it will slowly saturate the drywall or ceiling, creating a water stain or splotches in the affected areas.
2. Unpleasant Odors. I’m sure all of us have walked into a home at one time or another that smelled musty or damp. Those smells are signs of a water issue somewhere in the home. The longer the water sits, the more likely it is that mold is growing in that area – and that bacterial growth can create that unpleasant, earthy smell. Problems like this will not simply go away; it is vitally important to have this problem dealt with by trained professionals like our team at ICC.
3. Visible mold. This is an absolute indicator of a water problem; mold does not grow without some help from a moisture source. In the Minnesota heat, mold can grow year-round. It’s also important to realize that if you see mold growth in one area of your home, those mold spores are likely already airborne and can make their way into other nooks and crannies. Even a small, discolored spot on a beam could be more than dirt – it could be mold. If you suspect mold growth, it’s simple to call in a professional to test it.
If you suspect water damage in your home, don’t wait to act! ICC can help get your Woodbury home in tip-top shape in no time!