Water Damage And Safety
Water damage disaster in Woodbury are never fun but add in sewage to that wet mess and you’ve got yourself a major headache. Water damage disaster can originate from many sources, a leaky roof, flooded basement, or an overflowing washer, the worst is caused by sewage backups and overflowing toilets.
The water involved in a property damage event can be classified into one of three categories:
Category One – Clean Water
Category one water typically comes from a leaking roof, broken water lines, failed water heater or any other uncontaminated sources.
Category Two – Grey Water
Category two water typically comes from washing machines, dishwashers, and water leakage from other appliances.
Category Three – Black Water
Category three water typically comes from unsanitary sources and is the worst type of water damage you can experience. Also known as “black water” category three water originates from sewer lines, septic tanks, and flood waters. Blackwater can be potentially infectious to humans and contain harmful viruses and bacteria.
At ICC Restoration, we highly suggest that you hire a professional to clean up and sanitize any sewage damage disaster in your home or business. Special handling and decontamination processes are required to prevent the spread of disease and infection. Sewage water can contain a plethora of diseases.
Sewage Damage: Potential Diseases
The horrible smell that accompanies a sewage damage disaster is the least of your concerns. This is saying a lot considering how awful that smell can get. There are several contagions that can spread throughout sewage systems. Just to name a small few; Viral Gastroenteritis, Cryptosporidiosis, Salmonella, Hepatitis A, typhoid fever, and E. Coli. When exposed to sewage some individuals might exhibit light “flu” like symptoms, like cramping, nausea, fever, and diarrhea. Some individuals can suffer more severe like symptoms, especially infants, young children, elderly, or immunocompromised.
Staying Safe in The Aftermath
If you experience a sewage damage disaster in your Woodbury home or business the safety of you, your loved ones, or your employees should be your number one priority. Let the cleaning and restoration professionals make the cleanup and restoration process their number one priority. Most reputable sewage cleanup companies, like ICC Restoration, will be available 24 hours a day to help in your time of need. A quick response is key when it comes to sewage or any water damage disaster for that matter.
For you to remain safe until help arrives, consider the following:
- It is highly recommended that you avoid any areas of your home or business with sewage. If this is not possible, we suggest donning rubber gloves, eye protection, rubber boots, breathing masks, and coveralls when entering the area.
- Avoid contact with materials that have been contaminated by sewage, such as clothing, carpets, furniture, and other personal belongings. Bare skin contact can cause serious infections.
- Wash your hands immediately if you have touched any contaminated surfaces. Effective hand washing techniques include plenty of soap and 30 seconds of scrubbing. You may want to keep hand sanitizer close by.
- Refrain from eating, drinking, or using lip cosmetics while you are around sewage. Even chewing gum near sewage-filled areas can be detrimental to your health.
- We recommend that you always assume that any surface or item touched by sewage has become contaminated.
ICC Restoration is a full-water damage restoration company that can help you safely cleanup and repair any damaged caused by water. Contact our professional team for any water damage disaster situation.