Life, Back to
Normal Fast®

Knowing The Common Causes Of Fire Damage

A fire in your St Paul home is devastating. There are so many things in our home that could potentially start and feed fires, so it is important to know the most common causes of house fires, and how you can take precautions in your own home from potential fire damage.

Fire Damage In St Paul

1. Cooking

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, cooking is the cause of one half of all house fires. This statistic is not surprising considering the fact that the kitchen is full of flammable objects, not to mention the high temperatures and hot cooktops used to prepare food. To be proactive with fire safety in the kitchen, the first thing you should do is never leave cooking food unattended. Second is to keep cooking equipment and appliances clean. Build up on stovetops, in ovens, and in microwaves can become flammable, which means they can lead to fire damage. The third way you can prevent fires from starting in the kitchen is to keep flammable objects away from the stove and any other heat sources while they are turned on. Be sure to use caution whenever you are cooking in the kitchen, and keep a fire extinguisher on hand nearby.

2. Heating

Heating devices are the second most common cause of house fires. Space heaters that are left unattended in rooms or are placed too close to flammable objects can start fires really quickly. You should be sure that space heaters are a safe distance from any other objects, and turn them off when you leave the room. Wood stoves and chimneys need to be kept clean and maintained to prevent fires. Obstructions and buildup in fireplaces and stoves can prove catastrophic. 

3. Electrical Malfunction

Frayed wires, damaged cords, and overloading an outlet can cause electrical malfunctions that can lead to fire damage. Damaged wiring and exposed wires need to be replaced before using. Do overload your outlets. When too much current is running through a single outlet or extension cord, it can overheat, spark, and start a fire. If you have too many cords that need power in one area, like at the TV entertainment center, you should use a surge protector to ensure there is no current overload. If cords feel hot after being plugged in for too long, unplug them and do not use them again until they have cooled down.

4. Carelessness

Unintentional fires that are the result of carelessness are the next most common cause of house fires. Mistakes happen, and no one is perfect, but negligence with potential fire hazards is something we can all work on and be aware of. Candles left burning while unattended, heating devices left near combustible items, failing to put out cigarettes completely, being careless in the kitchen, not storing matches and lighters in safe, out-of-reach areas, and failing to turn off gas tanks when no longer in use, are just a few examples of the careless actions that often lead to fires. 

 ICC Restoration & Cleaning Services provides fire damage restoration to St Paul and surrounding areas. We know how devastating fires are, and that is why we want you to be proactive in your home to help prevent them. If you do find yourself dealing with fire damage, call ICC right away.

Archives

Read More Articles