In addition to all the steps you take to keep your family safe, summer presents additional risks. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety says the summer fire season is March and October. Last year, the Greenwood Fire forced evacuations and briefly closed the Boundary Waters.
According to a report from the United States Fire Administration, the warm summer months are one of the most dangerous periods for fire-related accidents, injuries, and deaths. The USFA notes that increased numbers of fires are caused by careless campers, malfunctioning cooling equipment, and outdoor cooking.
Here in town, summer is a time for fun, but it is important to make sure you and your family are being cautious. Fireworks, grills, and outdoor fire pits bring the family outside but also expose them to damages. Keep your home safe from fires this summer.
So stay safe while you cook this summer. Obviously, propane and charcoal BBQ grills are for outdoor use only (not garages.) Police the area and keep children and pets at least three feet from the grill area; never leave it unattended while hot.
Know your unit, keep your grill clean and degreased. Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it. Position the unit away from overhanging branches and a good distance from your home and flammable furnishings.
First of all, you must follow the law. According to Minneapolis government website, non explosive fireworks like sparklers, cones and snakes are legal in Minneapolis. But fireworks that explode or fly, such as firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles and Roman candles are illegal.
You also need to use common sense. Each July 4th, thousands of people, most often children and teens, are injured while using consumer fireworks. Even if you’ve heard them in your neighborhood for years, you might not understand the risks of injuries and fires.
During the summer months, unmaintained units could become overloaded and may overheat, causing a fire. When A/Cs cannot keep up with a heatwave, the unit can malfunction. And when an HVAC system fails, it can become a serious fire hazard.
At least once a year, have your HVAC service remove the dust on the electrical component of your unit. Keep the immediate area free from clutter, boxes, and cleaning equipment. Junk that obstructs airflow strains the system. Some materials can catch fire; cleaning chemicals can react to the heat and cause an explosion.
No matter the cause of your fire damage, call ICC Restoration for immediate response. They will arrive with advice and assistance to save your valuables and keep you safe. ICC has the certifications, training and experience to properly restore both your structures and their contents.
ICC Restoration is focused on cleaning up damage with as little reconstruction as possible. But if reconstruction or other services are required, ICC will be your single source of contact to take the project from start to finish. In St. Paul, call them to learn more.